Pages

Tuesday 18 July 2017

Day #3 - Wild Eyes - Possums To Kill Or To Live? - Winter Learning Journey!

IALT: Give my opinion if Possums should be killed or should live?

Image result for possums

In my opinion, I think that Possums should be killed and here are my main reasons why:



I do think it is more ridiculous that New Zealand wanted possums in the first place but I do agree with them because they wanted to start fur industry in New Zealand and thought that Possums only ate plants but they were wrong and now they are affecting WILDLIFE!

Trapping, Poisoning and Shooting has now reduced the population of Possums but there still millions of Possums in New Zealand! I did read a book about Possums when I was young and was disgusted about how they acted so now I know that I should disagree!

They have been eating the eggs, chicks and even adults of many other native birds including Kereru, Kiwi, Harrier Hawk, Fantail, Muttonbird, and Tui. They also eat the nectar and berries that native birds like to eat so that there is less food for the birds.

So for bonus points, I will have to upload a picture of me with WILD EYES!
Here it is:



Thank you for reading!
Kind Regards,
Your Winter Learning Journey Blogger Akanesi!


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Akanesi,

    This is the one of the most detailed and expressive posts that I have had the chance to read on the topic of 'possums as predators.' I really like the way that you have thought carefully about this issue and sourced evidence to support your point of view. It is awesome to see!

    I, like you, am genuinely concerned about the impact that the non-native possum population is having on our native trees and birds. I believe that something needs to be done.

    Great work with your blogging, Akanesi. Nicky and I have really enjoyed all of your blog posts!

    Cheers,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete